The Hive at Walkden High School
The Hive is an Enhanced Resource Provision for students with Moderate Learning Difficulties. We play a vital role in Salford's vision for developing provision for students with SEND and improving options and outcomes for all students. We have 7 students each year group who are referred to us through Salford’s SEND team. These students require specialist support which may not normally be available in other mainstream schools. The Hive plays a significant role in extending inclusion of Salford students with SEN in mainstream schools.
In most cases, students will benefit from a combination of access to teaching in small groups in the Hive, and time in mainstream classes, with additional support. There is a higher than usual level of staffing to meet more complex needs, which extends to break and lunch time support. Whilst students will be able to access much of the national curriculum, differentiated to an appropriate level, they will also benefit from an enriched curriculum including:
- Structured literacy/numeracy programmes
- The development of independent work skills
- The development of Social skills
- The development of Life skills
- The use of Community visits
- Access to appropriate alternative qualifications.
The Hive itself is situated within main school, but with separate entrance and facilities, enabling students to develop ownership and have a secure haven. This designated area has:
- Full barrier free access, including toilet facilities
- Supervised area for breaks and lunchtime which include catering facilities
- Areas for small group teaching, therapy and positive support
- Flexible learning spaces to enable a more personalised curriculum
- A highly visual learning ethos
- Quiet work areas / work stations / distraction free room
- ICT facilities
Here in The Hive at Walkden High School, we are dedicated to sharing news and information about what we have been doing with parents, pupils and friends. Please find more information about us.
Follow us on Twitter using @HiveWalkdenHS