Sports News

Year 7 Football
Walkden blow Albion away with second half surge to seal semi-final success

Walkden’s Year 7 Football team returned to action on Tuesday night as they took on Albion in the 1st leg of their Salford Schools’ Cup semi final. On a windy night at Old Clough Lane, the boys produced their best display of the season in testing conditions. Having lost the toss, the boys played into the elements in the first half and despite early pressure from the visitors, weathered the storm to create a couple of attempts on target. Their pressure paid off midway through the half as Pascal Kpomohouh’s drilled strike found the bottom corner to give the boys a deserved lead. Walkden could, and should have made it two before the break but a number of chances flew wide.

With the wind behind them in the second half, Walkden dominated possession and territory, and were rewarded for their pressure when Aaron Skinner fired home from close range after good work from Rhys Fenlon on the right wing. Daniel Gavaghan and James Howarth both struck in the bar in a matter of seconds before Howarth made sure at the third attempt to make it 3-0. With the game drawing to a close, the boys knew that another goal would seal the tie, and James Lindsay’s trickery in the box won a penalty which Lindsay converted to make it four. But the lads were not finished there as Skinner found space in the box to hook a left foot shot into the bottom corner for 5-0 and then Howarth volleyed home Fenlon’s cross to complete the scoring a seal a 6-0 victory.

All eyes will be on the second semi-final to see who will face Walkden in the Cup final at Broughton playing fields on Wednesday 2nd April.

Mr Tobutt

Year 7 Rugby

The Year 7 Rugby team began their league campaign against Irlam last Thursday with a hard-fought contest at Old Clough Lane. Irlam began brightly and took the lead in the first five minutes with a converted try, but Walkden responded well and Ben Gore’s solo run resulted in the boys’ first try which Danny Stone converted to level scores at 6-6. Irlam crossed again to stretch their lead to 10-6. The boys’ response was once more positive and they looked threatening with the ball going forward. Tom Rawding’s drive close to the line tied scores at 10-10. The visitors edged in front again just before half time as a third try and conversion gave them a 16-10 lead at the interval.

Into the second half, and Irlam went further ahead when try line pressure resulted in a fourth try, 22-10. Back came Walkden once more, as the attacking threat allowed Gore to cross for his second try of the game, Stone added the extras to reduce the deficit to 22-16. Irlam made sure of the result when crossing for a fifth try and with the last play of the game, sealed matters with a drop goal for a 27-16 scoreline.

The boys were back in action on Friday night when they returned to the AJ Bell stadium to play at half time in the Salford vs Warrington Super League game. Playing against Wellacre HS, the boys won their game 8-4, with Ben Lowe and Tom Rawding crossing for tries in the half time showpiece. Once again, the boys were given the chance to meet members of the Salford squad and were given a great reception from the fans in the stadium. Thanks again to the parental support on the night.

Squad: Tom Morris, Lewis Anderson, George Bailey, Liam Thornton, Ben Lowe, Daniel Stone, Tom Rawding, Jayden Akers, Max Mulligan, Josh Connolly, Brodie H-Partington, Jamie Fielding, Ben Gore, Luke Blair, Max Melia, Seb Foy

Year 10 Rugby
Walkden 32 – 22 All Hallows

Following an opening round defeat to Buile Hill, Walkden’s Year 10 Rugby team travelled to Stott Lane on Monday night looking to return to winning ways. Despite missing a number of regulars, Walkden took an early lead when Ben Norman’s close range try was converted by Harrison Tyrrell. The boys increased their lead further when Louis Ayre crossed the whitewash before the hosts hit back with a converted try to make it 10-6. All Hallows rallied, and found themselves level midway through the half when a line break set up their second try of the game. Undeterred, Walkden hit back once more as Cole Mansfield evaded the tacklers and crossed for a third try, 14-10. Just before the interval, Walkden made it a two-score game when Reece Hayhurst picked a hole in the All Hallows’ defence to make it 18-10.

The boys increased their lead minutes into the second half when Mansfield again finished off a flowing move for his second try of the game. The home side hit back and made it 22-16 with a close range try and conversion. Debutant Louis Holt then showed great reactions to pounce on a loose ball in the corner for Walkden’s sixth try of the game and the 10-point lead was restored. All Hallows weren’t finished, and pulled another score back when a strong run broke Walkden’s resistance, 26-22.

However, the boys had the final say and Mansfield rounded off a fine performance with his hat-trick in the closing minutes. Tyrrell’s second conversion completed the scoring and a 32-22 success.

Mr A Tobutt

Latest News

Volume 06, Issue 34 of the Walkden Weekly

Look what's in our newsletter this week. If the newsletter doesn't appear below please either: Click here to visit the web …

Walkden Stars

YEAR 7 MANNIE DOYLEFor his outstanding improvement in behaviour and attitude. This student is fast becomming a Walkden STAR! …

Paris 2017

Three Coaches, 110 students, 12 staff and enough snuggle blankets, pillows and yumpty treats to comfort and soften the journey…


Key Information