Football Fever

Year 9 Boys Football - Cup Quarter Final
Walkden vs St Patricks

With many of the Walkden boys playing out of position the first half of this game was a closely contested affair. St Patricks dominated the midfield area of the pitch with some slick passing and really deserved their lead when their centre forward crashed the ball home from close range. Walkden managed to level things up just before half time when James Headford rounded the keeper and passed the ball into the net from close range.

After some strong words at half time and some tactical changes the second half was an entirely different affair with Walkden playing some wonderful passing football and demonstrating calm heads at the back as they defended as a team unit.

Shortly after the second half kicked off, Walkden were awarded a penalty which Tom Hilton coolly slotted into the bottom corner. The third goal from Walkden was special as James Headford picked up the ball and drove from midfield before lashing the ball past the goalkeeper from 18 yards. James then quickly completed his hat trick with another well taken goal. This left Walkden 4-1 to the good.

Walkden weren’t finished there though and some great work from Damola set up Anthony Jones to score and the roles were reversed as great work down the right wing allowed Damola to poke the ball home from close range. St Pats never stopped trying and were still creating chances. They grabbed two goals late in the game either side of a Dylan Bradbury goal that was all his hard work and just reward for his tireless running throughout the game.

Final score: Walkden 7 - St Pats 3

The boys now go into the hat for the semi finals.
Well done boys , a truly team effort.

Mr Thomas

Year 8 Football - Cup Quarter Final
Walkden vs Buile Hill

Walkden Year 8 boys returned to action on a surprisingly warm Monday Evening at home to Buile Hill. Year 8 boys as reigning champions entered the game in a confident but determined mood against a physically imposing Buile Hill side. The game started at a high pace and intensity by the boys from Walkden which was pleasing to see.

Walkden were soon ahead when the Buile Hill keeper made a great save but could only push the ball out to Jamie Pollitt who scored from close range. The second goal came shortly after and was almost identical to the first with Jamie Pollitt again finishing neatly a Max Bottomly shot that had rebounded off the bar into his path. Soon after hitting the bar Max got rewarded for his hard work with a goal of his own, which was followed by a messy own goal conceded by Buile Hill. The first half was wrapped up by Jamie Pollit who beat the keeper at an angle to complete an impressive hat trick and send Walkden into half time 5-0 to the good.

Several changes at half time ensured that the Walkden intensity was maintained in the second half and it was substitute Liam Lawlor who made it six with a well taken goal. Buile Hill came back shortly after with a goal created by sloppy defending from Walkden. However, it would be Luke Brooks who would finish the scoring with 2 well taken goals, one a volley and the other a neat angled finish just before the final whistle.

Walkden march into the semi finals with a confident 8 – 1 win.

Well done boys, very impressed!

Mr Thomas

Latest News

Volume 06, Issue 34 of the Walkden Weekly

Look what's in our newsletter this week. If the newsletter doesn't appear below please either: Click here to visit the web …

Walkden Stars

YEAR 7 MANNIE DOYLEFor his outstanding improvement in behaviour and attitude. This student is fast becomming a Walkden STAR! …

Paris 2017

Three Coaches, 110 students, 12 staff and enough snuggle blankets, pillows and yumpty treats to comfort and soften the journey…


Key Information