Year 11 Football – reach the 4th round after emphatic eight-goal success...

Walkden made the trip to Tytherington School, Macclesfield on Tuesday afternoon in the third round of the English Schools’ Cup. With a place in the last 128 in the country at stake, the boys made a slow start but the hosts couldn’t capitalise on early lapses in possession. The first goal arrived when Caleb Richards’ cross fell to the feet of Liam Pollitt who drilled home from the edge of the area. Pollitt added a second five minutes later when his drilled shot found the bottom corner after Lewis Barber’s effort was blocked. Walkden made it 3-0 when Barber turned in Richards’ cross to finish off a flowing move that started from defending a set piece. A fourth goal arrived when Max Bardsley-Rowe rounded the home’ keeper to slot the ball home before Richards’ shot found its way into the net to make it 5-0 at the interval.  

Within minutes of the second half, Walkden had a sixth as substitute Louis Holt found himself unmarked in the box to side foot home. With the game over as a contest, the boys’ began to pass the ball with real purpose and further chances came their way. James Bulloch was largely untested in the Walkden goal, saving well from a free kick. As the game headed towards the full time whistle, John McAtee fired a seventh when his long range shot found the top corner. The scoring was completed when Toby Morgan played in Lewis Massey and the winger’s cross was turned in by Pollitt to complete his hat-trick.  

In the 4th round, Walkden are faced with a home tie against Wilmslow High School with the game scheduled to be played by 8th November.  

James Bulloch, Callum Clark, Mason Protano-Williams, Alex George, Toby Morgan, Liam Pollitt, Charlie Sykes, John McAtee, Max Bardsley-Rowe, Caleb Richards, Lewis Barber, Louis Holt, Lewis Massey, Louis Ayre, Matt Walsh

Mr Tobutt

Year 8 Football – Cup run ends in heartache as Failsworth leave it late...  

This time last week, Walkden’s Year 8 Football team took on Failsworth High School in the second round of the English Schools’ Cup. After an even and goalless first half, the boys took the lead early in the second half when Adam Hall’s strike found its way through a crowd of bodies to make it 1-0. A second goal arrived when Luke Howarth followed up Aaron Skinner’s effort and it looked like Walkden would safely progress. With seven minutes left, Failsworth found a goal out of nowhere as a long range effort made it 2-1. Then, from a drop ball in a seemingly harmless position, the visitors shot from distance and bundled in the rebound to equalise with the last kick of the game. Extra-time saw Walkden strive for a winner but were denied by the Failsworth ‘keeper.  

And so the game was to be decided by penalties, as both sides scored their opening strikes it was Walkden who cracked first as penalties two and three were saved. The visitors went into a lead in the shootout, and despite missing their 4th, Walkden failed to capitalise and fell to a 3-1 defeat leaving the Failsworth boys to celebrate. Our boys will look back on the game as a missed opportunity in a game where they were the better side for large parts.  

Brodie Howell-Partington, Alex Hunter, Josh Waring, George Bailey, Daniel Gavaghan, Aaron Skinner, Luke Howarth, Adam Hall, Oliver Heron, James Howarth, Ben Barlow, James Lindsay, Daniel Stone, Tom Rawding.

Latest News

Volume 06, Issue 34 of the Walkden Weekly

Look what's in our newsletter this week. If the newsletter doesn't appear below please either: Click here to visit the web …

Walkden Stars

YEAR 7 MANNIE DOYLEFor his outstanding improvement in behaviour and attitude. This student is fast becomming a Walkden STAR! …

Paris 2017

Three Coaches, 110 students, 12 staff and enough snuggle blankets, pillows and yumpty treats to comfort and soften the journey…


Key Information